I am planning to replace our candelabra style dining room light with compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs and was looking for toxicity/exposure estimates for the mercury in the bulbs. The best source I found is the PDF linked here. It looks like there is little to no risk to adults and minimal risk to children in the event of a CFL bulb breakage. Now I can reassure my wife. We already use mostly CFL lights in our house and have for years.
LEDs are the ultimate light source for maximum electrical efficiency, minimal size, minimal environmental impact of production, and longevity, but they’re still too expensive for most of us to use in standard household lighting. I do have an LED reading/nightstand lamp I got recently (from Costco) that works great, very similar to a 20 to 30 watt incandescent bulb, and I hope the price of these lights keeps coming down and they become available in standard bulb socket sizes and in outputs that can replace 40 to 100 watt incandescent bulbs.